Overdue Date Night and U2


1987- The year I met Mark, the year we fell in love to The Joshua Tree <3



                     September 8, 2017- 30 years of life together and THE "U2 The Joshua Tree" concert!!!

....what could go wrong?!


Friday September 8, 2017. This date has been planned by my husband since the moment he could get his hands on tickets. It's the first date we have had alone since March 2017- 6 very long months! A chaotic time in our lives for sure, we are raising our 5 special needs kids, it's beautiful, it's challenging, it's hard and it's wonderful. So my husband took off a day from work during a very busy season (thanks Boss) he makes reservations for a downtown hotel, he makes all the arrangements for the kids, he buys the tickets- he did everything! EVERYTHING!

11am Friday morning, we are packed and headed to see our beloved U2. Life is so good, we are actually going on a date!!! And what could be better celebrating our date night then being reminded through an entire concert of why I fell in love with this man- 30 years later, the reminders, the memories are everything.

On the way to the concert while jamming to U2, I turn the radio down and say "We need a Plan B"- mommy brain is interrupting our need to be teens again. I give him Plan B- which ends with "No matter what happens, we see U2 tonight!" He agrees to Plan B- I smile, turn the radio back up, look out the window, feel the breeze and I feel free.

We find our room, drop our stuff and head out to the first bar to celebrate U2 with us- Brit's Pub.
Our walk to the pub is a cultural experience for me- stay at home mom that doesn't like to venture too far from home, feels like a different country. So many people, so many different faces/races/finances/backgrounds/abilities, so many differences among us- all walking the streets of Minneapolis, they don't know they are with me- but they are, it was a pretty wonderful walk <3

Get to Brit's, find a great spot on the patio and meet our waiter- tell him we are going to U2 tonight, he laughs- we are pretty early. Order our beers, he compliments my numerous beverages in front of me- a cold beer, an ice water and my coffee. Tells us we are doing it right- we will make it to the concert. Mark starts telling me about the establishment, he mentions they have another rooftop bar with lawn bowling, lawn bowling?! We must go play!! and I tell him so-

Me- We should go lawn bowl
Him- No, you'll get us kicked out for not following proper etiquette.
He's right, he has 30 years experience with me. So we head upstairs, rooftop patio/ entertainment/ U2
Eventually we find others that are also going to U2. Met a couple at the table next to us, they too were on an all day much needed date. We wish them well and move to another area where we can hear U2 being played better. Sit at a table next to a group of guys from Colorado- they are here for U2 as well, I joke and ask if they brought any good edibles- nope, but they are carrying vapes. We laugh, share some U2 thoughts, laugh more about our age, eventually wish each other a great night at the concert and we head out. Many hours, many beers, many laughs- this day is just fantastic.

Walk back to hotel, Mark checks to make sure things are good at home. ALL IS WELL!!!!! Let the fun continue....next stop Erik The Red, U2 pre-party!!! We are one of the firsts there as well! Head to parking lot where the party is to be, fresh dirt everywhere, glad for my shoe choice...Tennies! lol Couple guys with trucks are driving around smoothing out the dirt- we start a conversation with one of the guys about this awesome day, great party, best day ever etc etc- he introduces himself as the owner of the bar, tells us he must buy us a drink (we were NOT going to drink real alcohol, it was in the plans!) we head over to mini-bar where he gets us all a shot, mama shoots it- big daddy shoots, Erik shoots, we wish each other well and thank him. He was such a great guy, thanks Erik!! Enjoyed the party for quite some time, made more friends out on dates- danced, played games, sang, got a pic with Bono on a stick! So enjoyed celebrating life in a dirt parking lot. Such a fun day! 



Time to go to the concert! WOOT!!!
I do not have my purse, gave my license to my husband and stuffed my medical marijuana in my pocket hours earlier- I am a legal certified patient of the MN program, I'm also buzzed :) So, metal detector goes off, it's me. Pull my vape pen out of my pocket and a police officer questions me- I tell him it is my medical marijuana, that I have a license for it. He asks "this is marijuana?" and I kinda freak out- I AM GOING TO SEE U2, shut your mouth and get inside Katie- just shut it. I tell him again, yes it is marijuana I buy it at leafline- show him it says leafline, he asks what my medical condition is- I tell him and I again say it is legal. He takes the pen, removes the oil and hands me the empty pen back. I ask if he is keeping it, he says yes- I'm not gonna argue cause U2!!! Hope he enjoyed my medicine.

Head inside, my date needs to go potty- I say I will wait for him. Standing there waiting, I pull my phone out- as I'm pulling it out I see someone is calling- recognize the number but I miss it. Phone rings again immediately and I answer knowing the caller, I can't hear anything and will let her know I'm at a concert and will call back tomorrow. It wasn't who I expected- instead it's an emergency call. My daughter is having some real struggles, it's a call to report the days events. I'm sent into an panic attack- what am I suppose to do? This is ongoing, not new, not something I HAVE to deal with right now but it is my daughter, she needs her mom and I am freaking out. Was on the call for what seemed like forever only getting bits and pieces of what is happening because I can't hear. We eventually end the call- I'm told over and over by caller to go to the concert, I thank her and hang up, now to convince myself to stay... Phone rings again, Minneapolis number so I answer, it's my daughter- she is okay. Mom guilt is real, all is okay- go to THE concert!!!!

Now where is my date of 30 years? He is nowhere to be found, I have NO idea where our seats are- he has the tickets, always has had the tickets- I'm lost. Text him numerous times, call and leave a message, text some more. Seriously, I'm already trying to keep my shit together after the last 30 minutes of calls and now where the hell is he?!?!?! I dont have my cheater glasses so I cant see fb (told friend where our seats were earlier) I'm screwed. I AM LOST!

My text- 
 Where are you?!?!?! 8:11
 Where u at?! 8:13
 Where are you ?!?!?! 8:16

Him-
 Our seats yo 8:17

Where the hell are our seats?!?!?! I am so pissed/sad/mad/panicked. Seriously?!?!
I do remember 120s and start the search, I find him all smiles and absolutely CLUELESS!
Beck is playing, he can see I'm upset, he has no idea why- and phone rings- I feel it, I see it, I need to take it so I walk out on forever date and Beck

Get out of arena, still too loud- ask Security if I can walk out the doors right in front of me- "if you walk out, you don't get back in" Take call in the arena, finish call and adult daughter calls me (she has our  kids) Just hearing her voice, mama loses it. I tell another security person I have an emergency and ask again if I can go outside- he says yes. I walk out and am just balling my eyes out- freaking out my daughter, I tell her I will be okay- I'm going back to see U2! Meanwhile young security guard approaches me. I'm smoking a cig (yup) and he wants to bum one- I turn to look at him and he sees I'm crying. Asks me if I'm okay- he sits down with me and then another security guard comes and sits too- he also needs a smoke. Anyway, I'm crying, and they are so completely wonderful. Comforted me, brought me back to this moment that we were so excited for- pumped me up for U2- promised he'd not only get me inside again but back to my seat. Young man did just that, brought me in- found my seat- gave me a big hug and wished me well. Thank you young man, you were just the angel I needed <3

Find my date of 30 years. He is still clueless to what has happened since getting to arena. And he is upset with me, he doesn't know where I've been or what I've been doing- I was gone for quite some time.. He heads out of arena for like another potty break?! He leaves mad, I text him to come back, U2 is coming on stage.... Remember plan b? NO MATTER WHAT WE SEE U2!!-  

He comes back just in time, he sits down as the music begins. Floodgates open yet again and I snuggle into his neck as he holds me tight. We sat snuggled like teenagers for what seemed like forever. I didn't even notice you, U2- I saw nothing but I heard and I felt everything. Eventually standing and still holding each other, dancing as one- singing- laughing- kissing- healing. Every song had a memory attached to my forever date- every single song. Best concert ever, thank you U2 for being a soundtrack in our lives. 
What a beautiful life it has been <3

Wake up in our wonderful hotel, snuggled up in bed. Guess what happens?

Fire alarms and an evacuation. I giggle and whisper "the world just wants to fuck us", he laughs, we go back to sleep- we are gonna be fine, it's all we can do <3

Hanging on
You're all that's left to hold on to
I'm still waiting
I'm hanging on
You're all that's left to hold on to
The glass is cut
The bottle run dry
Our love runs cold
In the caverns of the night
We're wounded by fear
Injured in doubt
I can lose myself
You I can't live without
Yeah you keep me holding on

Best Album Ever <3








Comments